MORNING DEW: 13/01/2019
THEME: THE WAGES OF SIN IS DEATH
TEXT: ROMANS 6:19-23
- I am speaking in simple terms because of the frailty of your human nature. Just as you once offered the parts of your body as slaves to impurity and to greater and greater disobedience, so now, in the same way, you must offer the parts of your body as slaves to righteousness that leads to sanctification.
- For when you were slaves of sin, you were free as far as righteousness was concerned.
- What benefit did you get from doing those things you are now ashamed of? For those things resulted in death.
- But now that you have been freed from sin and have become God’s slaves, the benefit you reap is sanctification, and the result is eternal life.
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in union with the Messiah Jesus our Lord.
WE WERE ONCE SINNERS
Everybody was once a sinner as a result of Adamic sin. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Jesus came, died, and had opened a door of escape from darkness to light, hence anybody who comes to the light is washed with His precious Blood. We have been therefore sanctified, redeemed.
The Greek word is “opsonion” which means pay of sin.
What you get when you sin.
The Greek version is “hamartia” which means to wander from the law of God, violate God’s law.
Adam and his wife, Eve, brought sin into the world.
They disobeyed God’s Word – God’s Spoken Word just like what is happening today. We worship idols, fornicate, commit adultery, gossip, tell lies, etc.
The Greek word is “thanato,” means separation (whether natural or violent) of the soul and the body by which the life on earth is ended.
HOW TO ESCAPE THE PENALTY (WAGES) OF SIN
- Accept the Gift of God (salvation)
- Live a Sinless Life in Him (sanctification)
We are no longer sinners. We are now redeemed children. Our new life in Christ should not be undermined. We should not take it for granted. Once saved forever save is an error. The wages (penalty) of sin is death (verse 23).
We have physical death and spiritual death. When you don’t know Jesus your spiritual man is dead, because without Jesus you have no life. So we have many dead people who walk on earth, those who don’t know Jesus Christ. When God told Adam not to eat the forbidden fruit else he dies (Genesis 2:17), you realize that when he ate it he didn’t die physically but spiritually he died.
So anyone who lives in sin is dead spiritually. Anyone who doesn’t know Christ is dead spiritually. One day your spiritual man will live your body. The body will then become lifeless, motionless. We call it physical death.
Whichever way the death may be if you don’t have Jesus or if you live in sin it is very dangerous. Sin will always bring death. Let’s avoid it. Live for Jesus. You have been redeemed. You have been sanctified. You have been washed with His precious Blood.
Don’t let His work on the cross be in vain.
God bless you.
“The one who believes in the Son has eternal life, but the one who disobeys the Son will not see life. Instead, the wrath of God remains on him.” (John 3:36).
Prayer: I have come to you this day, forgive my sins and cleanse me with the Blood of Jesus, and count me among your children,
Rev. John Wundengba
020 9 422 159