MORNING DEW: 29-10-2018
TOPIC: DO NOT DEFILE YOUR BODY
TEXT: DANIEL 1:1-8
- In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.
- And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.
- And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king’s seed, and of the princes;
- Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king’s palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.
- And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king’s meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king.
- Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah:
- Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.
- But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.
SIN WILL NOT GO UNPUNISHED
Whatever a man sows the same shall he reap (Galatians 6:7). As usual, Judah, under Jehoiakim king of Judah, sinned against the Lord. God, this time, delivered them into the hands of the Babylonians to be dealt with. God will always punish unforgiven sins here on earth and on the judgment day whether we like it or not. Meaning we can sin and misbehave due to our free will but the consequences of such behaviours are being decided or controlled by God at the appointed time.
The strong men of Judah were taken to Babylon. They were many of these group. And they were to be trained into many fields. They were also to be fed with the kings food. But Daniel and his three friends purposed in their hearts not to defile themselves with the king’s food.
THE KING’S FOOD
What was wrong with the king’s food? We can talk of idolatry. The food was contaminated. Also, as uncircumcised gentiles (the Babylonians) the Hebrews would not eat the same food with them. The four Hebrew guys would not defile themselves with the food.
The guys were far from home. The priest was not present. Their elders probably were not there. They were punished by God and carried away to the captivity.
CHRISTIANS WAY OF LIFE OUTSIDE HOME
All the above were enough to have justified themselves engaging in any act which was not their practice, but no, they were determined to live for their God. They were not ready to disappoint their God.
Believers today live their comfort zones to different places and the story change. After all no parents, church leaders, pastor, mentors are around. It’s a sad situation when Christians go to school and cannot live to please God. Christians are transferred to different regions and their lifestyles become disaster.
As National Service personnel at your current station, what are your actions there? Are you still a believer you used to be?
What you should know is that our God is omnipresent, meaning He can be found everywhere. Daniel and his three friends kept this in mind. You think that God is only in Ghana, or He is only in your current work place?
He is everywhere therefore honour Him wherever you find yourself.
Prayer: I am ready to serve you without defiling my body, help me do this, in Jesus’ Name!
Rev. John Wundengba