MORNING DEW: 17/01/2019
THEME: THERE IS ONE THING YOU LACK
TEXT: MARK 10:17-22
17. And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?
18. And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
19. Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.
20. And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.
21. Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.
22. And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.
THE MAN WAS SAD AND GRIEVED
The Greek word for sad is “stugnazō” means to be sorrowful, metaphorically of the sky covered with clouds.
The word grieve is “lupeō” in Greek which is;
1. To make sorrowful.
2. To affect with sadness, cause grief, to throw into sorrow.
3. To grieve, offend.
4. To make one uneasy, cause him a scruples.
The man was “stugnazo”. He was sorrowful. The man who ran and knelt down before Jesus, addressed Him as “Good Master” suddenly changed his mood for hearing what would benefit him.
What was he expecting to hear? Maybe, “it will be well with you, buy this one touch oil, buy this sticker and your problem will be solved, go and bath in the well and you will be saved” or you only need to buy the miracle water and you will be saved”, were some possible expectations by the man.
People go to church with their expectations. And they will never accept anything apart from what they had already expected. Such people are not ready to hear any message that do not fall in line with their expectations. He either leave the church to another church or leave the church and sit at home.
Expectations are good but it should have its grounds in the Word of God. Why should a man who needed a spiritual transformation changed his countenance at once? Maybe he needed a special prayer. Maybe he wanted Jesus to lay His hands on him and called on God. Maybe he wanted Jesus to have a dinner with him and then prayed for him. Because the man was wealthy. He had a lot of properties.
Listen friend, you can’t use your wealth to buy salvation. You can’t use your wealth to buy life.
These things are very important as far as this life is concerned. When you die today, your spirit goes to God who gave it for judgment. And there is no turning back after death. Your money, cars, mansions, cannot save your soul after death. After your death the people you used to feed will be running away from your body. People who loved you will be afraid to stand before your body or they will be afraid to touch your body.
Your wealth has limitations. Salvation is your license to heaven, without it you can’t enter heaven.
The man went away grieved because he had great possessions.
Are you also going back? Jesus is knocking at your door. This is your moment.
This is your time.
You can change it now. Don’t be like this wealthy man.
THE HOUR IS NOW!
Prayer: Save me Lord, deliver my soul from hell fire and write my name in the book of life, in Jesus’ Name!
Rev. John Wundengba
020 9 422 159