MORNING DEW: 10-10-2018
THEME: FRIENDSHIP WITH THE WORLD MEANS HOSTILITY WITH GOD
TEXT: JAMES 4:1-10
- Where do those fights and quarrels among you come from? They come from your selfish desires that are at war in your bodies, don’t they?
- You want something but do not get it, so you commit murder. You covet something but cannot obtain it, so you quarrel and fight. You do not get things because you do not ask for them!
- You ask for something but do not get it because you ask for it for the wrong reason for your own pleasure.
- You adulterers! Don’t you know that friendship with the world means hostility with God? So whoever wants to be a friend of this world is an enemy of God.
- Or do you think the Scripture means nothing when it says that the Spirit that God caused to live in us jealously yearns for us?
- But he gives all the more grace. And so he says, God opposes the arrogant but gives grace to the humble.
- Therefore, submit yourselves to God. Resist the devil, and he will run away from you.
- Come close to God, and he will come close to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
- Be miserable, mourn, and cry. Let your laughter be turned into mourning, and your joy into gloom.
- Humble yourselves in the Lords presence, and he will exalt you.
The types of seeds we sow are the reason for the type of harvest we have. The selfish desires are part of us due to the seeds that are found in us. We only think of wicked schemes; how to kill, how to destroy, how to steal, etc. No wonder our prayers are not being answered because our intentions are always dark, covered with wickedness.
All these things happen because we want to be friends to the world. The world is corrupt. So if you love the world you will be corrupt. Love has to do with the heart. Friendship is also about the heart. If you are a friend to someone, it is your heart you are giving to the person.
And you can give your heart to the fashion, money, power, success, women, etc. of this world.
John says in his first letter, the Chapter number two the verse fifteen to seventeen that, “Stop loving the world and the things that are in the world. If anyone persists in loving the world, the Fathers love is not in him.
For everything that is in the world the desire for fleshly gratification, the desire for possessions, and worldly arrogance is not from the Father but is from the world.
And the world and its desires are fading away, but the person who does Gods will remains forever”.
Some Christians have donated their hearts to this world so they run errands for this world. They can be in church and the world will send them outside the church and they would have to leave. Christians leave God’s presence to watch television shows, football games, honour their girlfriend’s calls, attend to business meetings, etc.
If you love this world it means your heart is in the hands of Satan because Satan is the god of this world. Jesus Himself was confronted by Satan to love him (the world) in order to obtain the world, but He turned his offer down (Matthew 4:10).
Loving this world means you are the candidate of hell fire. Jesus is still calling you. It is not too late as far as you have life. Come close to God and He will come close to you. Cleanse your hands from all evil and purify your hearts. Resist the devil and run to Jesus.
Friendship with the world means hostility with God.
Prayer: I give my heart to you Lord, therefore help me keep my heart away from this world, in Jesus’ Name!
Rev. John Wundengba